The Municipal Art Gallery of Savona has recently been connected to the Savona Ceramics Museum in order to create a single museum hub, the Art Museum of Palazzo Gavotti. This arrangement reflects the deep relationship that has developed over centuries in the districts of Savona and Albisola between painting and ceramic art.
The collection of the Municipal Art Gallery traces the development of painting in the area of Savona between the 14th and the 20th century. Among the superb oeuvres of the collection are the Crocifissione by Donato de’ Bardi, a unicum among Renaissance paintings, and the impressive set of polyptychs, which are a proof of the great artistic ferment experienced in the city in the 15th and 16th century thanks to the two Popes Sixtus IV and Jiulius II della Rovere.
The halls of the Pinacoteca also house the collection of the Milena Milani Contemporary Art Museum Foundation, thus exhibiting a selection of artworks representing the most important steps of contemporary art, with masterpieces by famous artists such as Picasso, Miro, Magritte, De Chirico, Tombly, Jorn, Capogrossi and Fontana. Among the pottery artefacts, particular attention should be drawn to Fanciulla con fiori (1937), a work in black and gold by Lucio Fontana, Ritratti di Milena by Fontana (1952) and Franco Garelli and Vaso donna ceramica by Picasso (1959).
The Municipal Art Gallery is part of MUSA, the network connecting the museums under the administration of the City of Savona. The network brings together the two major museum hubs of the city: the Art Museum of Palazzo Gavotti, housing the Municipal Art Gallery and the recently inaugurated Savona Ceramics Museum, and museums on the Priamàr Fortress, where the Municipal Archeological Museum and the Sandro Pertini e Renata Cuneo Museum are located.
For further information, visit: Comune di Savona – Servizio musei (available only in Italian)